I finally installed the metal header. It is held on by lots of nails, and also the joints at each end are soldered. I used stainless steel nails, which I found by accident in the hardware store. I also figured out how to use a bit of rubber tubing to seal around the hole where the windshield wiper goes, so that rain would not get into that hole and start rusting out the inside of the over-windshield area.
I started working on the header area back in April, so I am glad to get it (mostly) finished. I still need to put some filler in the joints on each end, to get a smooth contour between the header, the windshield pillars, and the roof.
Here are a few principles that I have tried to follow while working on the car:
1: I generally work at home, so it is not too hard to do a couple of little 15-minute tasks during the course of the day.
2: I want to get the car able to move under its own power ASAP. That’s why I put the body back on the chassis as soon as the underside was refinished. I could have more easily refinished the body off the chassis, but that would have meant another 6 months or a year with the car disassembled all over the garage. Things like the final painting and the interior upholstery can be done last, after the gas tank and wiring are installed and functional.
3: I try to avoid buying spare parts until I am definitely ready to use them. It is a bad idea to buy a part, let it sit for a year, and then find that it is not usable. Even so, I sometimes get too optimistic. I had the roof wood sitting around for a year before I started doing anything with it.
I fixed the mis-aligned windshield wiper hole in the wooden header.
I went through all the old rusty nails and bits of anti-squeak I saved when I took apart the header a year or two ago. The header is complicated: there are lots of nails, and there are also two other metal pieces that run across the top of the windshield opening. Hopefully I will get the header nailed and soldered in place over the weekend.
I made a small patch (about 3/4″ x 3″) and brazed it into place on the metal header, where it had once upon a time gotten damaged. Then I primed the header with epoxy primer.
I noticed that the hole in the wood header for the windshield wiper shaft does not line up very well with the hole in the metal header. I will have to fill the hole and drill a new one about 1/8″ to one side.
Today I bead-blasted the metal header cover (that goes above the windshield).
I want to:
Get the body filler work and block sanding done.
Get the gas tank (already in primer) installed.
Hopefully get the doors stripped and a first coat of epoxy primer applied to them.
I just set up this diary. I should have done it a couple of years ago, when I first got the car.
Here’s the current state of the car: The chassis, engine, drivetrain, and brakes are all restored and functional. The body has had all the rust and dent repair done, and has a first coat of primer. Most of the roof wood has been replaced. The doors, fenders, running boards, windshield haven’t been touched yet.
Look at the photo gallery to see what I have done up to now.