Fixed the Rear Seat Springs

I repaired both rear seat springs. I had to remove some of the damaged wire pieces, bend replacements from the new wire, and use the special metal clips to put everything back together. To do an accurate job of bending the wire, I made a couple of little jigs from bits of scrap metal.

I painted the seat base spring, attached it to the wooden frame I made a couple of weeks ago, and began the process of upholstering it.

Working on the Rear Seat

Over the last couple of weekends I built a new wooden frame for the rear seat base. The old base was a lot like the old front seat base: It had been somewhat crudely rebuilt by a previous owner, with about half the original wood left. I used the same techniques (and special jig) that I used last year to make a new front seat base. The new base is made of oak, and has all the same joints and dimensions as an original.

I also got some of the correct spring wire and metal clips for fixing up the rear seat springs. They are mostly OK, but some of the wires have corroded or worn spots, and could break at any time.  After the springs are fixed up, I can upholster the seat base and repeat the process for the rear seat back.  Fortunately, the original rear seat back wood is in excellent condition.

A Christmas Present for the Car

I installed a nice electronic voltage regulator in the generator. It allows the battery to always get a proper charge rate without having to manually adjust the generator output current. It’s also totally invisible inside the generator.

For myself, I bought a fairly decent TIG welder from Harbor Freight, which will hopefully allow me to do a better job fixing up the fenders. So far, I’ve just been playing with it on scrap bits of metal.