More sanding, and a momentous decision

I’ve done more sanding, in the spots that I could not reach with the 6″ sander. The car has a lot of nooks and crannies that take longer than I expected to sand.
I removed a lot of bondo from the left rear of the car. It had been hit there once, and whoever repaired it was quite generous with the bondo. Once I got the bondo off, I used my stud welder to get the rear corner of the rear fender closer to its correct shape.

I also decided to replace the entire lower rear valence. It had gotten bashed up, and it had been “repaired” by bashing it in an equal opposite direction and covering the entire thing with about 1/8″ to 1/4″ of bondo. The panel is fairly easy to remove, and since the seams are all exposed, spot-welding the the new panel will not be especially difficult. I had been considering replacing it for the last ten years or so, and if I don’t do it now, it will never get done.

More sanding

I had another day where it was not excessively hot (in the morning at least), so I got some more sanding done. I did the rear fenders and rear valence. I have sanded everything that can be reached with a 6″ round DA sander, and now I’ll have to do a bunch of inside corners, nooks and crannies, etc. with a smaller sander or by hand.

Some more sanding

One day this week was not excessively hot, so I rolled the car outside and did more sanding. I made a lot of progress on the sides of the hood and the rocker panels.

Too darn hot!

It’s been way too hot to do dirty hard work like sanding! But last week I managed to seal off the passenger compartment with a plastic sheet, so sanding dust would not get into the interior.