Archive for April, 2013

An electrical job

Saturday, April 20th, 2013

I did a repair on the front marker lights, and re-installed them. A couple of the mounting studs had gotten rusty, and they broke off when I removed the lamps last year. So I pressed out the remaining stubs of the studs, and soldered some small bolts in the holes to replace them. Then I mounted the lamps in the front fenders and hooked up the wiring. Except for the rusty studs, the lamps were in excellent condition, and just needed to be cleaned.

Fixing the front valences

Tuesday, April 16th, 2013

I repaired the rusted-out spots on the front corner valences (BTW, the valences attach to the front corners of the frame, just below the front bumper). Each one had a rusted-out spot about 1 by 2 inches. I cut away the rusted metal, cut patches from sheet metal to fit the openings, and welded the patches in place. I ended up using my MIG welder, so I never actually used the nice foot pedal I had made for the TIG welder. I also fixed a couple of small bends and dents in the corner valences and the center valence (which bolts on below the grille, between the corner valences).

The next step is to apply a bit of body filler to the remaining dings and irregularities on the valences, and start priming and painting them, like I did with the rest of the car body.   Since they are tiny compared to the entire car body, it should be quick, and not too messy.  I also need to bead-blast the headlight surrounds, and paint them along with the valences.